We tell you the first steps you should take if you have just reached Windows 11.
Windows 11 is officially available since October 5, 2021. In all this time, we have told you everything you need to know about Microsoft’s new operating system . But even in the previous versions we already explained what the best tricks were to improve the performance of your computer and get more out of your computer, If you have installed the latest version of the Windows operating system. In short, as your expert we have addressed different aspects of Windows 11 that you are interested in knowing. However, in this article we will focus on those settings that it is advisable to modify right after installation.
The sections that follow include relevant information that is important to know if you have just installed Windows 11 . We will talk about some functions related to customization, the Start menu or the taskbar. We also include some recommendations if you have upgraded from Windows 10 and for all those who are concerned about privacy. New to Windows 11? Keep reading!
Index of contents
- Change the theme of your computer to adjust its appearance
- Remove startup apps you don’t use
- Remove the taskbar shortcuts you don’t need
- Align the taskbar to the left
- Uninstall the pre-installed applications on your computer
- Improve Windows 11 privacy
- Add users to share the team with others
- Include other folders in the Start menu
- Check for updates to stay up to date
- If you’ve upgraded from Windows 10, reset the system
CHANGE THE THEME OF YOUR COMPUTER TO ADJUST ITS APPEARANCE
One of the first things you should do after installing Windows 11 is to adjust the appearance of the system to your personal preferences. You should know that Microsoft has included a total of six default themes for you to change the color scheme of the interface and the wallpaper. They are at your disposal if you follow these steps:
- Access the Windows 11 settings application.
- Click Personalization . It is one of the sections that you will see in the list on the left side.
- Under the heading Select a theme to apply it, click on any of the proposed themes.
By doing that, quickly, the look of your team will change radically. There are three options that activate the dark mode and another three that use the light version of the interface. If none of them convinces you, visit the Colors and Themes sections to modify each of these aspects as you wish.
REMOVE STARTUP APPS YOU DON’T USE
Windows includes some applications that you may not need, such as Microsoft OneDrive or Teams. You should know that these are executed automatically with the system, which can affect the performance of the computer. If you open the configuration and follow the path Applications> Start , you will be able to eliminate these startup programs and prevent them from running in the background.
REMOVE THE TASKBAR SHORTCUTS YOU DON’T NEED
Let’s keep talking about things that are included in Windows 11 that you probably don’t need. We refer to the shortcuts to various system functions that are included by default in the taskbar. If you visit the Personalization> Taskbar section and open the Taskbar Items section , you will be able to activate or deactivate these shortcuts. Here is the complete list of icons that you can remove and their alternative access:
- Search . If you want to access search after removing the shortcut, use the Windows key and type. You also have the Windows + S shortcut.
- Task view . Alternatively, you can use Windows + Tab or swipe up with three fingers on the trackpad.
- Widgets . Access them with the Windows + W shortcut.
- Chat . Pressing the Windows key and C at the same time opens the chats function.
Knowing these methods, you will enjoy a cleaner taskbar while not losing a single system function.
ALIGN THE TASKBAR TO THE LEFT
Does it bother you that the taskbar is centered? Don’t worry, this is how it changes:
- Open settings and head to Personalization> Taskbar .
- It reveals the content of the Behavior section of the taskbar .
- Under Alignment of the taskbar choose Left .
UNINSTALL THE PRE-INSTALLED APPLICATIONS ON YOUR COMPUTER
Another good suggestion that we can give you if you have just landed on Windows 11 is that you delete the applications that come pre-installed . These icons are actually shortcuts that download the app the first time you click on them. Therefore, they do not take up too much space in storage. The problem is that they are very annoying if you want to keep a zone of pinned applications clean and orderly.
IMPROVE WINDOWS 11 PRIVACY
The Privacy and security section is highly recommended if you want to increase privacy and protection against external attacks on your computer. In the General section you will find some of the features that it is advisable to disable. All in all, it doesn’t hurt to spend some time exploring all the settings in this section to make your computer more private.
ADD USERS TO SHARE THE TEAM WITH OTHERS
All those who want to share their equipment with other users have the Add account option . It is available in the system settings, under Accounts . Just click the corresponding button and follow the steps in the wizard to create more profiles. Then, on the lock screen, you can select the account you want to use to start your computer.
INCLUDE OTHER FOLDERS IN THE START MENU
This is a very simple trick that will help you customize the system. Follow these steps to add additional shortcuts to the bottom of the Start menu.
- Enter the settings and follow this path Personalization ›Home› Folders .
- Activate the shortcuts you want to include.
- Open the start menu and check that the selected shortcuts have been added in the lower area.
CHECK FOR UPDATES TO STAY UP TO DATE
We face the final stretch of this article talking about updates. One of the first things to do after installing Windows 11 is to check for updates. So you can have the latest news and improve the performance of your computer.
IF YOU’VE UPGRADED FROM WINDOWS 10, RESET THE SYSTEM
Finally, you should know that resetting the computer is advisable if you have updated from Windows 10. In that case, make a complete backup of your files and go to System ›Recovery in the configuration application. Click on the Reset the device button and follow the steps that you will see on the screen.
Other news about … Windows 11