Discover the changes to File Explorer in Windows 11. Say goodbye to the ribbon and hello to new buttons for file management. Learn how to reveal hidden folders in a few easy steps in our article.
In earlier versions of Microsoft’s operating system, a simple checkbox in File Explorer called “Hidden Items” was enough to make all hidden files visible. However, in Windows 11, other methods will need to be employed.
How has the folder view changed in Windows 11?
Windows 11 introduced several changes to the folder view compared to previous versions of Windows. Below are some of them:
- New interface : Windows 11 has a new interface that is cleaner and easier to use. It uses dark themes that are easy on the eye and better suited to different types of screens .
- New features in File Explorer : Windows 11 has introduced new features to File Explorer that allow you to browse and manage files more easily. For example, the new interface allows you to browse files faster and also allows you to drag and drop files between folders.
- New Display Options : Windows 11 gives users more options for displaying folders, such as the ability to display files by various criteria such as file type or modification date.
- New tools : Windows 11 introduces new tools such as “Quick Access” which allows you to access your most used files and folders more easily, and “Favorites” which allows you to easily manage your favorite folders.
- New Search Features : The Search feature has been redesigned in Windows 11, allowing you to search for files and folders faster and more accurately, and in addition, allows you to filter the search results by various criteria.
- New remote work capabilities : Windows 11 enables remote work, allowing users to access their files and folders from anywhere using a Windows 11 device. This allows users to work on their projects from anywhere, without the need for physical access to your computer.
- New security tools : Windows 11 introduces new security tools that allow you to protect your files and folders from unauthorized access. Users can set a password to access their files and folders, and use file encryption to protect their data from accidental deletion or loss.
- New sync options : Windows 11 allows you to sync files and folders with other devices, so users can access their files from multiple devices. This allows users to work on their projects on different devices and be sure that they are always up to date.
In short, Windows 11 has brought many new features and improvements to Folder View that allow you to manage files and folders more easily, increase security, and make remote work easier. The methods that explain how to show hidden folders in Windows 11 have also changed.
Why are some folders hidden in Windows 11?
In Windows 11, certain folders may be hidden as they are deemed as critical system files for the proper functioning of the operating system. By hiding these folders, it protects against any unintentional deletion or modification that could lead to system malfunctions or crashes. Nonetheless, users can utilize several techniques to reveal hidden folders in Windows 11.
Some of the system folders that may be hidden include:
- AppData : Contains files and folders for apps and programs installed on your Windows 11 PC
- Program Files : Contains program files installed on your computer
- Windows : contains the files needed to run the Windows 11 operating system
- Temp : contains temporary files that are created by the system or applications
However, it should be remembered that some files and folders may be hidden by the manufacturer of the system or programs to protect against unauthorized access, therefore these files should not be deleted or modified without knowledge and experience in administering the operating system. However, if necessary, you can check their content.
How to show hidden folders in Windows 11? methods
For what purpose do users most often look for an answer to the question of how to show hidden folders in Windows 11? There are at least a few reasons
- System repair : Hidden folders may contain files that are critical to the proper operation of the Windows 11 operating system. If these files become corrupted or deleted, the system may stop working properly. Showing hidden folders allows you to access and repair these files.
- Configuration : Some hidden folders may contain configuration files that allow you to customize system functions or programs. Showing hidden folders allows you to access and modify these files to customize your system or programs to your individual needs.
- Backup : Hidden folders may contain files that are important to you, such as saved games or documents. Showing hidden folders allows you to access these files and copy or archive them to protect them from loss.
- Creating and modifying scripts : Hidden folders may contain files needed to automate processes or scripts, such as batch files or PowerShell files. Showing hidden folders allows you to access and edit these files, which allows you to create and modify scripts.
- Other Purposes : It is possible that other purposes not listed above may require you to show hidden folders.
Now we can move on to explaining how to show hidden folders in Windows 11. The system offers several ways. Here are the simplest methods.
I – using File Explorer
Open File Explorer in Windows 11 and navigate to the folder where you want to show hidden folders. Click “View” in the toolbar and check the “Hidden items” option. This will show all hidden folders and files in the current folder.
II – using the Folders and search options
How to show hidden folders in Windows 11 using folder and search options? You can do this by following these steps:
- Click the File Explorer icon on the desktop or in the Start menu.
- Press “Folder and search options” in the lower left corner of the window.
- Select “View advanced options” in the “Folders” tab.
- Uncheck “Hide files and folders”.
- Click “Apply” and “OK” to save changes .
After this operation, all hidden folders should be visible in File Explorer. Remember that hidden folders contain important system data, so be careful with modifying or deleting them.
III – attrib command
How to show hidden folders in Windows 11 using the attrib command? In this case, please follow the instructions below:
- Open a command prompt (cmd) by clicking “Start” and typing “cmd” in the search box.
- Type “attrib -s -h folder_name” (without quotes), where folder name is the name of the folder you want to show.
- Press Enter.
This should remove the “system” and “hidden” attributes from the folder, making it visible in File Explorer. If you want to show multiple folders, you can add their names after a space.
IV – task manager
- Open the task manager by using the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Shift + Esc or by clicking “Start” and typing “Task Manager” in the search box.
- Press the “Processes” tab.
- Click “View Settings” in the upper right corner of the window.
- Check the “Show hidden processes” option.
- Click OK.
V – disk management utility
How to show hidden folders in Windows 11 using disk management? You do this by following these steps:
- Open the disk management utility by pressing the Windows + X keys and selecting “Disk Management” from the menu.
- Find the drive where the folder you want to show is located.
- Right-click on the drive, then select “Properties”.
- Go to the “Protection” tab.
- Check the option “Show hidden files, folders and system files”.
- Click OK.
VI – external data recovery programs
- Download and install a data recovery program like Recuva , EaseUS Data Recovery , or Disk Drill .
- Launch the program and select the drive where the folder you want to show is located.
- Click “Scan” or “Start” to start the data recovery process.
- After the scan is complete, the program will display a list of all found files and folders, including hidden ones.
- Select the folder you want to show and click “Recover”.
The data recovery program allows you to recover deleted or hidden files and folders that have been deleted or locked by the operating system.
Another Guide on : Reducing Taskbar Size in Windows 11: Guide to Customizing Taskbar Size
How to show hidden folders in Windows 11? Summary
The article outlines six methods for revealing hidden folders in Windows 11, including using File Explorer, the attrib command, task manager, Folder and Search options, a disk management tool, and third-party data recovery programs.
It is important to note that hidden folders in Windows 11 contain crucial system information and caution should be exercised when altering or deleting them. It is recommended to obtain proper permissions before making any changes. Additionally, results may vary based on system configuration and the complexity of the hidden folder issue, so it may be necessary to try multiple methods to determine the most effective solution.