Ideally, any site should strive to improve the quality of its content. But this is not always the case. In addition, the concept of “quality” is very subjective. The development of the EAT algorithm, which affects the ranking of a site in Google, tried to separate worthy content from low-quality content .
What is EAT
The term EAT originated from the Google Quality Rater Guidelines in 2014. The abbreviation stands for “expertise”, “authority” and “reliability” (from English – Expertise, Authoritativeness, Trustworthiness).
EAT was created to combat unverified and shoddy information on the Internet. Unfortunately, many sites do not check the expertise of their authors and release low-quality content that misleads users.
E-A-T works mainly with sites on the theme of Your Money or Your Life. These include topics such as:
- Finance, taxes, pensions, investments;
- Legal and legal information;
- Politics, legislation, socially significant events;
- Buying and renting a home;
- Medicine, health and medicines;
- Nutrition, lifestyle;
- Mental health, psychology.
Understanding and following the principles of EAT helps companies improve the position of their sites in search results, and it depends on what the target audience will be reached and attract new customers. Google makes sure that the websites that appear on the first page of search are of high quality.
What does Google mean by “expertise”, “authority” and “credibility”?
- Expertise . When content authors have deep knowledge and experience in a particular issue. Expertise can be formal – a person has the appropriate education and competencies. It is relevant for such topics as medicine, law, finance. For example, a doctor will better comment on how this or that drug will affect the body. However, in some cases, the so-called “everyday” expertise is enough, when a person simply has enough experience. For example, take the query “how does a blind person feel.” This question is better answered by the blind himself, who has lived with this disease for many years, than by a doctor.
- Authority. This is the reputation of your site among other experts and opinion leaders. If industry experts refer to the author or site as a source of information, then it is authoritative.
- Reliability . The site inspires trust among users due to the accuracy and truthfulness of the content. A plus will be published contacts, with which you can easily contact the owners of the resource. On information sites it is necessary to place information about the authors of the content, their education, qualifications, experience.
Compliance with EAT factors directly affects the growth of the site's position in Google and the effectiveness of SEO promotion.
Google prioritizes providing users with relevant and correct information. He does not want to serve links containing unverified advice, fraudulent sites. Conversely, it seeks to recommend reliable and competent sources that meet the EAT criteria.
How to improve EAT on the site
By improving the EAT factors of the site, you can promote the position of your resource in the search and get additional traffic. How to do it:
- Put all the basic information on your site
Provide users with the ability to easily contact your company in any convenient way: phones, email, links to social networks, instant messengers, chats. Place detailed information about your production, brand, company. For example, you can create an “About us” page that contains all the basic information. Describe in detail all your products and services, terms of purchase and return.
- Only release quality content
The information on your site must be reliable, free of factual errors, and confirmed by other sources. Scientific content can be produced by people and organizations with a sufficient level of expertise. Keep the materials up-to-date, avoid outdated information and regularly update the information on the site.
The presentation of information is also important. Pay attention to the structure of the articles, it should be easy and pleasant to read them: headings and subheadings, lists, quotes, graphs, tables, videos, high-quality illustrations and photographs. Link to reputable sources of information. Don’t forget to watch out for grammatical and spelling mistakes.
- Constantly work on reputation and demonstrate merit
The reputation of the site itself and each content author is important. Create a page for your authors describing their professional achievements, education, experience. Detail information about diplomas, awards, victories of the company. Add thank-you letters from partners, suppliers, and other market participants. Also, the presence of an article about the company in Wikipedia can affect the credibility.
Invite customers to leave reviews on the site, your task is to increase the number of positive ratings. Do not forget to respond to negativity, communicate with your audience through social networks, instant messengers.
EAT factors in Google and Yandex
Yandex has its own commercial factors that partially satisfy the EAT criteria.
For example, Yandex recommends posting contact information – phone numbers, addresses, email. This is in line with the EAT principle of reliability.
Information about payment methods, return or exchange of goods is a factor that also coincides with the requirements of EAT. Such information supports the principle of reliability, helps users make the right decision based on all the data.
Also among the significant commercial factors of Yandex are a wide range of products, availability of prices, transactional elements.
Despite the fact that EAT factors were invented to assess the quality of content in the Google search engine, work on EAT indirectly, but has an impact on website promotion in Yandex. Therefore, the study of the content of the pages of the web resource will have a positive effect on the promotion of the site in both search engines.
Articles with a large occurrence of keywords and weak content are no longer a way to advance in search engines. Google and Yandex algorithms pay more and more attention to quality content. By following the principles of Google EAT, you can significantly improve the presentation of the material and increase your position in the search engine.